- Building & Zoning Department
Building & Zoning Department
The City of Winterset has adopted and enforced model building codes that regulate the construction of residential and commercial building projects within the corporate limits of the City.
Most projects will require a permit to be issued prior to the commencement of the project and are subject to an inspection process throughout the project as well. Siding, windows, roofing, and landscaping do not require a permit.
Approval of Subdivisions and parcel lines will be heard by Planning and Zoning
Appeals for variances for property use or zoning will be heard by Board of Adjustments
Building Permit Fees
(From Municipal Code Chapter 7) Before receiving a building permit to build or move a structure, the owner or his agent shall pay the building permit fees specified herein; provided, however, that the city, county, state, or the U.S. Federal Government shall be exempt from paying said fees. Said building permit fees shall be based on valuation and shall be paid as provided in the schedule of building permit fees as follows:
- Commercial Sign Permit: New Sign Fee $100 plus Inspection $75
- Commercial Trade Permits (Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC): $75
- Wrecking, demolition, and moving of buildings: A $20 fee shall be paid for wrecking or demolishing buildings within the City or removal from the City
- Fence Permit: $65
- Grading Permit: Commercial- $100 for 1st acre, $25 for each additional acre. Residential $50
- Construction in the Right of Way/Sanitary Sewer Permit: $50
- Expiration of Permits: All permits, except demolition permits, shall expire 18 months from the date of issuance. Demolition permits shall expire 6 months from the date of issuance.