The City of Winterset is seeking an experienced, professional, and responsible Street Department Equipment Operator shall perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair maintenance, and replacement of city streets, alleys and or drainage right away. Perform light to heavy manual labor and operate heavy equipment for the maintenance and repair of city roadways, right of way, alleyways, signage, and storm drainage system. This employee should have a strong mechanical aptitude and the ability and willingness to learn quickly. The ideal candidate will be:
- A positive member of a team willing to conduct tasks and responsibilities in collaboration or independently.
- An experienced professional increasing the abilities of the services and abilities of the current team.
- An efficient worker with excellent time management skills.
- Able to balance competing priorities with confidence and accuracy.
- Experience or education relating to Public Works is required.
Winterset is a growing community 30 minutes southwest of the Des Moines Metro. This community boasts a rural hometown feel with modern amenities, including a robust school system, thriving local businesses, fantastic parks and a growing population (5,353 pop, 2020).
All candidates shall submit a cover letter and resume by May 29th, 2023, either digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to City of Winterset, Attn: Ryan Flaherty, 124 W Court, Winterset, Iowa 50273.
Reports to: City Street Department Superintendent
Job Classification: Street Equipment Operator
Salary Range: $20.89-$21.40/Hr
General Purpose: Under the direct supervision of the Street Department Superintendent the Street Department Equipment Operator performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair maintenance, and replacement of city streets, alleys and or drainage right away. Perform light to heavy manual labor and operate heavy equipment for the maintenance and repair of city roadways, right of way, alleyways, signage, and storm drainage system. This employee should have a strong mechanical aptitude and the ability and willingness to learn quickly.
Qualifications: The following generally describe the knowledge and abilities required to successfully complete the job.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and support effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Learn and apply added information or new skills
- Operates light and heavy trucks, loaders, grader, striping machine, street sweeper, stump grinder, or other construction equipment as assigned
- Uses different hand tools, power tools, and chainsaws in a safe manner
- Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools before and after use
- Performs a variety of maintenance construction and repair work of streets, gutters, sidewalks, storm drains, and related facilities
- Use concrete cutting and breaking equipment, use jackhammers, construct concrete forms, pour, and finish concrete
- Work with paints and prepare surfaces for painting
- Haul and spread rock
- Check to ensure traffic signals are in place and in good condition, repair or replace street signs, stop signs, and other traffic signs as needed
- Cut brush and trees in the right-of-way and alleys
- Plow and haul snow, spread salt on slick roads
- Clear streets of limbs, brush, and other debris
- Performs after hours emergency work and on call duties on a rotating basis
- Subject to weather callouts as needed for snow removal and street repair
- Assist other city departments
- Maintains a variety of records as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Valid state driver’s license with a Class B CDL certification with an air brake endorsement
- Graduation from high school or a GED equivalent
- A combination of experience and education relative to most duties and responsibilities as listed
Desired Education and Experience
- Methods, techniques, tools, and equipment used in the installation repair and maintenance of streets, gutters, sidewalks, storm drains, and related facilities
- Methods and techniques of concrete finishing and repair
- Methods and techniques of street maintenance repair and asphalt overlay
- Practices and procedures of traffic control including proper placement of cones, barricades, and warning devices
- DOT certified flagger
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee continually works outside in all types of weather conditions. The employee often works near moving mechanical parts and is often exposed to wet and or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in tight precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and pathogenic substances. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally walk, sit, climb, balance, twist, grasp, push, pull, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must often lift and or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Note: Job offer and employment will be contingent upon passing an initial and federally required random drug testing for CDL Operators. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the several types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties do not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position. The job description does not make up an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.